MK-677 is a newly developed supplement for research purposes for several applications and uses. MK-677 has been a widely discussed supplement or product due to its exceptional properties and benefits for building healthy muscle mass and increasing growth hormone levels in the body. The availability of MK-677 is over the counter, which doesn’t make it difficult to get it without a prescription.
However, there is a little less scientific evidence of MK-677 regarding its uses for weight management and improving muscle mass. This article will discuss the scientific pieces of evidence and research regarding the use of MK-677. We will focus on the potential benefits or side-effects of this product.
- Generic Name — Oratrope
- Group – Investigational, Experimental
- Type – Small molecule
- Molecular formula – C28H40N4O8S2
- Molecular weight – 624.8
What is MK-677?
MK-677 or ibutamoren is the drug that promotes GH (growth hormone secretion) and also helps in increasing the concentration of IGF-1 (Insulin-like growth factors). MK-677 enhances growth hormone levels by mimicking or copying the natural action of the ‘Ghrelin’ hormone and by binding to the GHSR (Ghrelin) receptors in the brain. GHSR (activated) stimulates the release of growth hormones from the brain. According to clinical studies, ibutamoren only affects the appetite of an individual like Ghrelin, but in real, ibutamoren helps in increasing it. The presence of GHSR in the brain regions tends to control cognition, memory, biological rhythms, mood, pleasure, and appetite.
However, we can expect that MK-677 or ibutamoren can also help in affecting these different functions. It aids in increasing growth hormone levels with a no-little increase in the concentration of other hormones as cortisol. Cortisol plays a role in suppressing the immune system, reducing the healing of wounds, and impairing memory and learning. Therefore, it is not good to have the elevation of these hormones in the body.
Growth hormone is the anabolic hormone that can promote the whole-body retention of nitrogen, weight gain, and promotion of linear growth. Treatment of GH has evidence of increasing muscle mass among older men and promoting protein concentration in the hypopituitary specimen. The anabolic properties of these products suggest that they might be useful for the intervention of catabolic patients, specifically for the patients who have worsened or inadequate intake of the calories.
The anabolic effects of the GH have evidence of:
- Partially reversing the catabolic effects of the energy restrictions (dietary restrictions)
- Reversing the utilization of the excessive energy through the exercise
- Surgery management
- Managing the excess of glucocorticoid concentration
- Aging-related management
However, the GH treatment is otherwise costly and needs parenteral administration. Therefore, the growth hormone secretagogues, which stimulate endogenous GH, are the reasonably effective alternatives due to their oral administration route.
GHRP-6 (GH-releasing peptide) is a synthetic hexapeptide that has been demonstrated to be the effective and selective GH secretagogue in individuals or patients. MK-677 compound has been developed to mimic the GHRP stimulatory actions on growth hormone release in men and animals.
Discovery of MK-677:
At first, in the year 1978, GHS (growth hormone secretagogue) concept was mentioned when the specific group of synthetic compounds (derived from the met-enkephalin) was found to have activities related to the release of growth hormone. Since then, several other GHSs have been discovered for further applications and uses. Growth hormone secretagogues have evidence of acting through the several different receptors to which the somatostatin and growth hormone-releasing hormones attach.
Later on, several studies cloned the GHS-R (growth hormone secretagogue receptor), a specific G-protein-coupled receptor specifically expressed in the pituitary and hypothalamus.
After some time, MK-677 (or Ibutamoren Mesylate) was developed as a non-peptide GHS (growth hormone secretagogue). In different clinical tests, ibutamoren mesylate has evidence of increasing the growth hormone release and release of the insulin-like growth factor-1.
The discovery of the growth hormone or Ghrelin is a significant example of reverse pharmacology. Reverse pharmacology means that the synthesis of different artificial compounds can lead to the natural receptors’ cloning to discover the natural ligand for itself finally.
Mechanism of action:
After the introduction of the MK-677 in the body, it starts mimicking the action of GHSR (ghrelin receptors and hormones). Our body activates these specific receptors to increase the growth hormone secretion by doing this function. However, this isn’t all about the mechanism of action of the MK-677. GHSR also contributed to affecting the different functions as memory, cognitive functioning, mood, and appetite.
A positive fact about MK-677 is that it can increase the growth hormone levels and decrease the concentration of cortisol in the body simultaneously. Cortisol is responsible for impairing crucial cognitive functioning and immune system functioning. This unique feature of MK-677 isn’t achievable through the other supplements and additional products.
MK-677 acts in the body in three basic pathways:
- Indirect increase in the secretion of GH by the hypothalamus to release GHRH
- Binding of the product to the GHS receptors in the pituitary gland and signaling for the release of GH
- Individual increase in the secretion of GH by decreasing the concentration of somatostatins (a hormone that inhibits GH) from the hypothalamus regions.
Clinical applications of MK-677:
The main ingredient of MK-677 is ibutamoren. This s specific substance immediately turns into a liquid and can easily move throughout the body. Ibutamoren tends to develop the effects in the pituitary gland, which makes it possible to increase natural GH production. Therefore, increased levels of H in the body can have a more significant impact on the growth of muscles.
In general, there are two distinct types of MK-677 as subcutaneous and oral MK-677. The side effects and benefits of the MK-677 are the same for both the subcutaneous and oral forms. MK-677 or Ibutamoren is a selective, long-acting, non-peptide, and potent agonist for ghrelin receptors.
A few potential benefits and applications of MK-677 are:
Increase in muscle mass:
MK-677 has several different benefits for its different applications. Bodybuilders and athletes use these products for their effectiveness and use in developing the muscles. In our bodies, GH is responsible for any type of body growth, including muscles. Ibutamoren increases the natural GH productivity in your body.
Moreover, in any situation related to the break from the workout, these drugs or compounds help prevent muscle waste. The secretagogue produced as a result helps preserve the gain of muscles if you are successful in maintaining the deficit of the calories in the diet.
Boost in wound and body healing:
According to different clinical studies, ibutamoren effectively speeds up the healing process related to bodily injuries and wounds. GH aids in repairing the damaged tissues present in the body. This growth hormone can increase the blood supply to the tissues and the injured areas. Massive or extended production of the MK-677 helps speed up the repair process.
Improvement in bone density:
MK-677 has significant evidence of improving the bone density in its customers. It can be of great benefit for the users, specifically for patients who are obese or postmenopausal women. An increase in bone density also aids in the reduction of osteoporosis (or any other disease), which might help weak or diseased bones. Athletes and bodybuilders can also benefit from having sound or stronger bones because these supplements can reduce fracture chances or incidence in all physical sports.
Improvement in the sleep quality:
MK-677 has evidence of increasing the quality of sleep for its users. According to the reviews of the customers and patients, this drug aids in treating sleep-related problems even after a few days of administration. An adequate sleep level is always needed to maintain a healthy lifestyle and health. A sound and adequate sleep are necessary for brain functionality and health. A good night’s sleep also aids in reducing the stress and anxiety in the patients.
MK-677 has different similarities with the Ghrelin, and it tends to bind with its receptors. MK-677 stimulates the production of IGF-1, which can directly improve cognitive functioning based on the role of IGF-1 for its cognitive functioning. Different studies also back the claim of MK-677 to help improve consumers’ brain and cognitive functioning.
Improvement of skin and hair health:
An additional benefit of MK-677 is the good health of skin and hair. A side benefit of MK-677 is that you would get additional benefits that aren’t achievable otherwise through the body performance booster supplements. Growth hormone productivity can also benefit the skin and hair since it is necessary to maintain body organs. With the consumption of these supplements, your sin can become more elastic and hair will grow longer or stronger.
Other benefits of the MK-677 include:
- Improvement in sexual activity and satisfaction
- Increase in longevity due to different health benefits as bones strengthening and increased tissues repair
- Improvement in the performance of the different vital organs ad kidney and heart
- Increase or improvement in the energy limits
Frequently asked questions:
How long does it take for the MK-677 to work?
MK-677 has a relatively good prognosis and quicker performance and body health effects. However, any patient or consumer who uses them can witness the significant enhancements and improvements within the first two initial weeks of taking them.
Is the consumption of MK-677 legal?
In comparison to the other products, MK-677 has a few restrictions for the selling and purchase of this product. Most of the time, MK-677 is confused with anabolic steroids, but they can yield the same effects and mechanism of action.
Does MK-677 cause potential side effects as baldness and hair loss?
Generally, MK-677 is safe to use and provides beneficial benefits for the body. It doesn’t cause any side effects like hair loss and baldness in the consumers.
What do you need to consider while you are consuming MK-677?
There are a few important considerations that you need to focus on while you are consuming these supplements as:
- Dietary modifications and balanced diet – you need to make sure to have dietary modifications or a balanced diet before consuming these supplements. You must have a strict plan of diet through a nutritionist or dietitian for the proper diet consumption
- Regular exercise regimen – while you are consuming these supplements for muscle performance and energy enhancement, always consider a regular exercise regimen and workout. Don’t miss the regular workout practice to maximize your potential and the effectiveness of the supplements
- Sleep cycle –proper and adequate sleep is vital for the maintenance of hemostasis and normal metabolic functioning of the body. A sleep cycle with at least 8-hours of sleep daily allows the body to heal and recover faster from tissue damages and injuries. Moreover, sleep adequacy is also significant for maximizing the effects and actions of external supplements in the body
Dosage of MK-677:
The most commonly suggested administration of MK-677 in the body is through the oral route or in the form of capsules. The safe dosage of Mk-677 is about 10-25 mg of the supplements per day. Depending on your personal choice, you can take these supplements either at once or in two dosages. However, in case of taking two dosages, divide the supplements into two 12.5mg potencies and take them two times a day (morning and evening/night time). However, it isn’t advised to take the higher dosages of these supplements without prescription or supervision of healthcare professionals or physicians.
MK-677 has numerous health benefits for patients/individuals with certain medical or physical conditions. Patients with lower bone density, insomnia, and catabolic conditions can maximally benefit from these supplements. These supplements’ acting time and related prognosis time are relatively lower than the other products, which makes them a vital component for interventions. Patients who undergo medical conditions due to lack of growth hormone and IGF-1 concentration decrease can benefit from these supplements to improve lean muscle mass, bones, and structural integrity. The associated side-effects with MK-677 are also comparatively lower than the other products, making it safe for consumption for all patients above 18 years.
- MK-677, an Orally Active Growth Hormone Secretagogue, Reverses Diet-Induced Catabolism. M. G. Murphy L. M. Plunkett B. J. Gertz W. He J. Wittreich W. M. PolvinoD. R. Clemmons. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Volume 83, Issue 2, 1 February 1998, Pages 320–325
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996 Dec;81(12):4249-57. Stimulation of the growth hormone (GH)-insulin-like growth factor I axis by daily oral administration of a GH secretagogue (MK-677) in healthy elderly subjects. Chapman IM1, Bach MA, Van Cauter E, Farmer M, Krupa D, Taylor AM, Schilling LM, Cole KY, Skiles EH, Pezzoli SS, Hartman ML, Veldhuis JD, Gormley GJ, Thorner MO.
- 1997 Oct;66(4):278-86. Prolonged oral treatment with MK-677, a novel growth hormone secretagogue, improves sleep quality in man. Copinschi G1, Leproult R, Van Onderbergen A, Caufriez A, Cole KY, Schilling LM, Mendel CM, De Lepeleire I, Bolognese JA, Van Cauter E.
- Br J Pharmacol. 2008 Jun; 154(3): 557–568. Regulation of muscle mass by growth hormone and IGF-I. C P Velloso
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999 Feb;84(2):471-5. Insulin-like growth factor-I and cognitive function in healthy older men. Aleman A1, Verhaar HJ, De Haan EH, De Vries WR, Samson MM, Drent ML, Van der Veen EA, Koppeschaar HP
- J Bone Miner Res. 1998 Jul;13(7):1158-66. Treatment with the oral growth hormone secretagogue MK-677 increases markers of bone formation and bone resorption in obese young males. Svensson J1, Ohlsson C, Jansson JO, Murphy G, Wyss D, Krupa D, Cerchio K, Polvino W, Gertz B, Baylink D, Mohan S, Bengtsson BA
- J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Mar;86(3):1116-25. Effect of alendronate and MK-677 (a growth hormone secretagogue), individually and in combination, on markers of bone turnover and bone mineral density in postmenopausal osteoporotic women. Murphy MG1, Weiss S, McClung M, Schnitzer T, Cerchio K, Connor J, Krupa D, Gertz BJ; MK-677/Alendronate Study Group
- Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2001 Jul;70(1):91-8. Effects of oral administration of ibutamoren mesylate, a nonpeptide growth hormone secretagogue, on the growth hormone-insulin-like growth factor I axis in growth hormone-deficient children. Codner E1, Cassorla F, Tiulpakov AN, Mericq MV, Avila A, Pescovitz OH, Svensson J, Cerchio K, Krupa D, Gertz BJ, Murphy G.
Disclaimer: “This product is intended for medical research purposes only. This product is not for human consumption. You must be a licensed and qualified healthcare practitioner to work with this product.”