There are several supplements and drugs for different clinical purposes and weight management in the recent age. Most of the time, people rely on traditional treatments and supplements, but the newly formed supplements add to the efficacy of the products and good prognosis.
Similarly, Ostarine MK-2866 is another significant product with several clinical applications in humans as per the scientific evidence of the drug. This article will discuss the working mechanism, discovery, clinical applications, and recommended dosage of the Ostarine MK-2866 for different purposes.
- Molecular formula – C19H14F3N3O3
- Molecular weight – 33 g/mol
- Type – Small Molecule
- Groups – Investigational
What is Ostarine MK-2866?
If you are involved in bodybuilding, you might be familiar with the Ostarine MK-2866. It is one of the most popular bulking and muscle strengthening products that bodybuilders use globally.
Ostarine MK-2866 belongs to the selective androgen receptor modulators (SARM) family, sold under the brand name ‘Enobosarm.’ SARMs are the short form for selective androgen receptor modulators, which are used to initiate anabolic activity and enhance muscle growth by directly stimulating androgen receptors. Steroids have the same properties, but a few distinctive features make the SARMs a better alternative for steroids for their athletic enhancement and muscle gain.
Unlike the functioning of steroids, SARMS don’t result in the disturbance of the non-skeletal muscles tissues. It means that SARMS causes androgenic activity only limited to the muscle tissue, which makes it enormously effective for increasing lean body mass. Due to these actions, Ostarine MK-2866 tends to be the most effective and popular supplement for enhancing muscle mass and activity for athletic performances.
As discussed earlier, Ostarine MK-2866 binds to the body’s androgen receptors. These receptors are responsible for controlling different body functions such as recuperation, fat loss, and muscle growth. These supplements help reduce body fat and increase muscle mass by binding to these receptors. As per the scientific evidence, Ostarine MK-2866 is a non-toxic substance with fewer side effects in the body to make it a safer choice than other substances.
Men suffering from low testosterone levels and dehydrated can benefit from these supplements. These supplements help gain the dry weight ratio compared to the bloated look or water weight.
Discovery of Ostarine MK-2866:
Initially, Ostarine MK-2866 was developed by the GTx incorporation to intervene in different conditions such as osteoporosis and muscle wasting. This company invested almost 35 million dollars in the development of this drug.
In the year 2011, August, there was a placebo double-blind phase-2 trial that focused on postmenopausal women and elderly men. As per this study, the Ostarine MK-2866 supplement showed statistically significant improvements for physical functioning and total lean body mass gain without any side effects of steroid therapy.
By August 2013, GTx incorporation announced the failure of the Ostarine MK-2866 in their phase two clinical trial to treat muscle wasting in patients who have lung cancer. After these clinical trials, they also revealed that Ostarine MK-2866 would gain approval in Europe.
In 2016, the GTx incorporation began the phase two trials to check if Ostarine MK-2866 effectively treats stress urinary incontinence among women patients. However, these studies were found to have less scientific efficacy for treating the problem.
Earlier, Ostarine MK-2866 was developed to treat health complications due to cancer or AIDS leading to wasting syndrome or cachexia. Primarily, Ostarine MK-2866 was developed for preventing and treating these complications. However, in recent times, the effective nature of this supplement helps build muscle mass quickly, improve testosterone concentration, and regulate body fat levels.
Mechanism of action:
Ostarine MK-2866 works in the body by combining the proteins in the body in a specific synergic way. The working mechanism of Ostarine MK-2866 can be very easy compared to the anabolism in which small molecules combine to form the more complex or larger form of the molecules.
This process requires energy from any external source, which can be gained through the Ostarine MK-2866. This product can make the body’s proteins work harder and grow the muscles bigger through the workout.
Ostarine MK-2866 helps increase endurance levels for the longer sessions of workout. This can help build your body form even when a person feels tired due to the weight management due to shredding diet.
As per some research sources, this compound contains different amino acids as Leucine, which is most commonly used as a supplement for replacing the meal by bodybuilders. Leucine can also help speed up the time required for muscle recovery to reduce the build-up of lactic acid during strenuous workouts and physical performance. In short, Ostarine MK-2866 increases the recovery time along with the potential to increase workout repetitions before the muscles become sore or get fatigued.
Clinical applications of Ostarine MK-2866:
Ostarine MK-2866 and bodybuilding:
Being similar to the mechanism of anabolic steroids, Ostarine MK-2866 can help achieve a significant gain in muscle build. However, the safety profile of the Ostarine MK-2866 is far better than the use of steroids. According to research, Ostarine MK-2866 has more safety in terms of potential health risks and undesirable side effects in comparison to the use of anabolic steroids in the body. Therefore, Ostarine MK-2866 is used by athletes and bodybuilders who are trying to achieve a specific muscular or body figure as they can achieve with the use of anabolic steroids.
However, Ostarine MK-2866 is an experimental substance that isn’t encouraged professionally to be used by athletes for their body’s enhancements.
Muscle gain and hypertrophy with Ostarine MK-2866:
In 2006, a research study ran a clinical trial (phase-2) to evaluate the Ostarine MK-2866 efficiency in the 120 men over 60 years and postmenopausal women. This study’s primary endpoint assessed total lean body mass using dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. The study’s secondary endpoints were safety, insulin resistance, physical functioning, and body weight. Treatment with the Ostarine MK-2866 increased the total lean body mass of the participants, which was clinically significant as well. This research study also achieved the secondary endpoints, which are were also clinically significant. So, this study concluded that the Ostarine MK-2866 is a useful supplement for treating and preventing muscle loss due to cancer or other chronic diseases.
Another study in the year 2007 also examined the effects and efficiency of Ostarine MK-2866 for physical functioning and muscle loss in cancer patients. A total of 159 patients were assessed for the safety profile. The study results showed that both one and three mg when compared to baseline data, osteorine MK-2866 doses helped individuals with advanced cancer gain lean body mass.
Treatment of the diabetes mellitus:
According to a research study, Ostarine MK-2866 is significantly effective for reducing fasting glucose levels in patients with diabetes mellitus. Treatment with the 1-3 mg dosages helped decrease insulin resistance in the treatment group of the research.
In men with low testosterone levels, insulin resistance can cause diabetes mellitus. Testosterone therapy can be an important parameter for improving metabolism and insulin resistance for such patients. Ostarine MK-2866 can have potential applications and implications for the treatment of diabetic and pediatric individuals or also for patients with metabolic syndrome, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), and chronic kidney diseases. In comparison to the placebo treatments, Ostarine MK-2866 also helps decrease the total levels of triglycerides and cholesterol and improve the HDL concentration.
Comparison between Ostarine MK-2866 and anabolic androgenic steroids:
Ostarine MK-2866 is the selective SARM and is primarily aimed at acting in the bones and muscles. Due to the selectivity of the Ostarine MK-2866, it doesn’t cause androgenic or any potential negative effects in the body.
Like androgenic or anabolic steroids, Ostarine MK-2866 can help achieve muscle gain with fewer side effects and negative effects in the body.
In comparison to the steroids, Ostarine MK-2866 doesn’t cause:
- Conversion on dihydrotestosterone or estrogens
- Significant salts and water retention
- Increased levels of estrogen and cortisol
- Heavy liver load
- Enlargement of the prostate gland
- Kidney diseases
- Oily skin or acne breakouts during its consumption
- Baldness and hair loss
- Face swelling
- Hirsutism (excess of body hair growth in unwanted places)
- Sudden mood changes or psychological disturbances
- Restlessness, depression, explosiveness, aggression, nervousness, and irritability
Dosage of Ostarine MK-2866:
Frequent use of Ostarine MK-2866 helps in increasing the lean body mass. A 3mg dose can be beneficial for this purpose. Professional bodybuilders and athletes often use higher doses (10-30 mg) of Ostarine MK-2866 to achieve their goals. Relatively, Ostarine MK-2866 has a higher or longer half-life; that’s why it can stay for a longer time inside the body. Therefore, it is advised to take only one dose of Ostarine MK-2866 a day not to cause toxicity in the body with the supplement. Do not exceed the dosage of 20 mg because any dose above this level can cause side effects in the body.
Generally, it is emphasized that Ostarine MK-2866 is not an FDA-approved nutritional supplement, so it keeps the doses in normal ranges. This experimental entity is still under investigation to find its other side effect or any associated negative effects in the body.
How long does it take to work?
Ostarine MK-2866 is a potent drug with quicker effects and good health and performance prognosis. You can witness the initial improvements after the consumption of the drug for at least two weeks daily. There can be a gain of almost five to seven pounds in a cycle of six weeks while you are bulking. Try to consume the Ostarine MK-2866 for almost 6-8 weeks maximum.
Is the consumption of MK-2866 legal?
As far as the consumed supplement is not violating the legal dosage or laws, there won’t be any evident issue with the product’s legality. However, checking the product status and dosage is always recommended before opting for it because a few products can cause problems with their legal statuses.
What do you need to consider while you are consuming Ostarine MK-2866?
It would help if you kept a few considerations in mind while you are consuming additional supplements such as:
- Water consumption – while you are taking the drugs through the oral route, always increase water intake daily. Water can neutralize the harmful substances present in the body. Increased water consumption helps in good digestion and absorption in the digestive system.
- Regular exercise– While taking the Ostarine supplement, a regular exercise regimen always focuses more on physical activity. The increased physical performance and activity yields health benefits and improved detoxification. A high protein intake and nutritional supplementation can cause saturation in the body to cause different side effects.
Does Ostarine MK-2866 cause potential side effects such as baldness and hair loss?
Generally, Ostarine MK-2866 is safe to use and provides beneficial benefits for the body. It has no negative side effects in hair loss or baldness in the users.
Does Ostarine MK-2866 cause side effects in breastfeeding?
There is not enough credible information if ostarine is safe to use during pregnancy or breastfeeding. In order to be on the safe side, it is recommended to avoid using it.
Does Ostarine MK-2866 cause side effects in the Liver?
In certain people, ostarine might cause liver issues. Ostarine should be avoided by anyone with a history of liver issues.
The use of Ostarine MK-2866 can give several useful or positive body effects. Ostarine is an investigational medicine, and the US Food and Drug Administration has not approved it for any usage. However, the abuse of these drugs can somehow be dangerous and associated with different side effects. If a person is looking for muscle mass increase without any increase in body fat, try to use alternative ways instead of steroids and anabolic drugs. A drastic improvement in the body figure, muscle endurance, and fatiguability is achievable through the intake of these supplements discussed above.
People take ostarine for various reasons, including sports performance, involuntary weight loss due to illness, breast cancer, and a variety of other ailments. Ostarine MK-2866 quickens the process of high endurance and muscular hypertrophy. Before opting for any nutritional supplement, you should always look for a prescription from your physician or healthcare practitioner.
- Kintz, P., Gheddar, L., Paradis, C., Chinellato, M., Ameline, A., Raul, J. S., & Oliva-Labadie, M. (2021). Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor Delta Agonist (PPAR-δ) and Selective Androgen Receptor Modulator (SARM) Abuse: Clinical, Analytical and Biological Data in a Case Involving a Poisonous Combination of GW1516 (Cardarine) and MK2866 (Ostarine). Toxics, 9(10), 251.
- Kintz, P., Gheddar, L., Ameline, A., & Raul, J. S. (2020). Identification of S22 (ostarine) in human nails and hair using LC‐HRMS. Application to two authentic cases. Drug Testing and Analysis, 12(10), 1508-1513.
- Richards, J. R., Scheerlinck, P. H., Owen, K. P., & Colby, D. K. (2020). Bodybuilding supplements leading to copper toxicity, encephalopathy, fulminant hepatic failure and rhabdomyolysis. The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 38(11), 2487-e1.
- Walton, C. M., Saito, E., Jacobsen, S., Thomson, D. M., & Bikman, B. T. (2020). Selective androgen receptor modulation with MK‐2866 favorably alters muscle mitochondrial bioenergetics. The FASEB Journal, 34(S1), 1-1.
- Cilotti, A., & Falchetti, A. (2009). Male osteoporosis and androgenic therapy: from testosterone to SARMs. Clinical cases in mineral and bone metabolism, 6(3), 229.
- Roch, P. J., Henkies, D., Carstens, J. C., Krischek, C., Lehmann, W., Komrakova, M., & Sehmisch, S. (2020). Ostarine and Ligandrol Improve Muscle Tissue in an Ovariectomized Rat Model. Frontiers in endocrinology, 668.
- Argilés, J. M., López-Soriano, F. J., Stemmler, B., & Busquets, S. (2014). Recent Developments in Treatment of Cachexia. In Pharma-Nutrition (pp. 259-273). Springer, Cham.
- Nyquist, M. D., Ang, L. S., Corella, A., Coleman, I. M., Meers, M. P., Christiani, A. J., … & Nelson, P. S. (2021). Selective androgen receptor modulators activate the canonical prostate cancer androgen receptor program and repress cancer growth. The Journal of clinical investigation, 131(10).